The June 2015 Better Homes and Gardens magazine featured a home tour of a cedar-shingled coastal cottage on Long Island, New York. I enjoyed the relaxed feel of the entire home, but the living room in particular drew my attention.
Here is a photo of the living room:
Here are the things that I liked about this living room:
1.The Mix of Colors: This isn’t your typical calm blue and white coastal cottage room! Blue and white is featured—in the white bookcases with the blue painted backs, the blue and white upholstery on the chairs and sofa, the lamps, and the garden stool and vase—but the sunny yellow accents in the coffee table, pillows, and curtain trim, and the pops of bright coral in the pillows, flowers, and blanket, liven things up. The sisal rug, white walls, and simple white curtains provide a neutral backdrop for all the colorful accents.
2. Rattan Furnishings: The rattan armchairs and end tables lend a relaxed and nautical feel to the space.
3. Mix of Old and New Furnishings: The sofa is a recovered Goodwill find, and some of the other pieces like the rattan chairs and tables and the coffee table look like they could be vintage pieces that have been given a new life with paint and upholstery. These older elements contrast with the modern lamps and accessories in the bookshelves and the printed pillows.
4. Symmetry: The room is well balanced with the two rattan arm chairs placed opposite the sofa. The tables on each side of the sofa have matching lamps. There is even a pair of adorable dogs!
5. Accessories: An abundance of books brings warmth to the space. The large fig tree in the corner and the vibrant zinnias introduce nature and infuse the room with color. The bookshelf displays sculptural and engaging accessories.
Here are some ideas for how you can get this coastal look for your home:
- Ballard Designs Kathryn Sofa in Quincy Indigo
- Etsy Solid Coral Pillow by River Oak Studio
- Etsy patterned pillow in coral/new yellow by Lynn Chalk
- One Kings Lane yellow coffee table
- One Kings Lane rattan lounge chair
- Ballard Designs Suzanne Kasler Gourd Lamp (in French Blue0
- Ballard Designs blue and white garden stool
- Sherwin-Williams Vast Sky 6506 (paint for the backs of the bookshelves)
If you would like to get the look of the sisal rug, here is an option from Pottery Barn.
What’s your favorite part of this coastal living room?